Mother’s Day is just around the corner and this year, I challenge you to consider some of these cute and practical gift ideas for Mother’s Day that she wont want to throw out. These DIY gifts, made with love, are eco-friendly, and either plastic free or made by up cycling something you probably already have in your home.
1.Terra Cotta Lavender Plant : Lavender is an age-old favourite with its calming fragrance noted for aiding in a restful sleep. Plant some in a terra-cotta planter which she either
use as a house plant or re pot in the garden. For a homespun look, wrap it in cotton fabric and attach a cute label.
2. Mason Jar Herb Garden: Select some for favourite herbs and plant in Mason Jars. Basil, Rosemary and Parsley are some good choices for this project which can be displayed beautifully on a kitchen window ledge. You don’t have to use a mason jar, glass jars from pasta sauces work well too. Either way, she will appreciate the original and thoughtful gift.
3. Go Vintage and use an old teacup and saucer: You can put practically anything in these from bath salts to candles. Use your imagination and have fun with it. These old favourites are readily available at Goodwill or salvation Army thrift stores and a great way to reuse old things.
4. Old Picture Frames also make a great project. You can make notice boards, chalk boards or add a collection of her favourite photos. The shabby chic look is the in-thing so its easy to repaint an old wooden frame and make it your own. you can find ideas on you tube on how to refurbish wooden frames for this purpose.
5. Gift Cards. Sounds boring right? But they make a great addition to that tea-cup, and are good for those living in tiny homes because they can choose what they want and your gift wont take up unnecessary valuable space. Try putting chocolates in the tea-cup and the gift card – now you have three gifts in one. Hows THAT for awesome!
6. Speaking of Mason Jars, they make wonderful gifts. You can fill them with virtually anything and it is easy to find something that your mother would like. This makes the gift much more personal and meaningful. You could make a mommies survival kit, and pack it with first aid goodies for young moms with small children. For the crafty sewing, mama, you could make a sewing kit. For the harried working mom, try a spa jar with bathroom soaps, salts or bath bombs. Just make sure nothing has micro beads in because those are have plastic particles and are bad for the environment.
The list of possibilities are endless and with these 6 suggestions, you can make a DIY Gift that will be tailor-made for your mom. Best of all, they are made from the heart, practical and she will cherish them. While they are useful and serve a purpose ,there is the added bonus that there is almost nothing to throw away and are therefore good for the environment. All the containers can be reused and if you up-cycle from items already in your home, you also save money by not purchasing things which will most likely be plastic wrapped. This is perfect way to reduce, reuse and recycle while making zero waste gifts and can be adapted for other occasions too.
Check Out some other blogs and Pinterest too for more ideas on the perfect Mother’s Day gift. If you enjoyed this post and found it helpful, please share it to spread the word. If you have some great ideas, be sure to post a comment. I would love to hear about them.